ASK YOURSELF: WHAT DO YOU NEED?
Before you can pick the right photographer or videographer for you, you need to know what you’re looking for! If you’re searching for a wedding videographer, you’re going to need someone that has experience working around groups in hectic environments. If you’re creating a real estate listing and need a real estate photographer, you want someone that knows how to work angles to make rooms seem open and inviting.
Make a list of everything that you want to get from your photography or videography experience and use this list to narrow down a professional that has the experience you need. If you’re not sure where to start, try searching online for professional photographs or videos in the same category of photography as your project. Check out Anytime Picture’s albums under our portfolio tab, this may give you some inspiration!
Now that you know what you need, it’s time to do some homework. Search online for photographers or videographers in your area. A search like “Cleveland area wedding photography” will net several results, but don’t worry! Check out their website, the photos and videos they choose to showcase will demonstrate a lot about their personal style. For example, Anytime Picture has our photos broken into user-friendly categories to make album viewing a breeze!
If you find that their example photos speak to you, you can search that specific photographer online to see if you can find ratings or client testimonials on an unbiased third-party site such as Google reviews, Facebook, or Yelp. You can also ask friends and family for recommendations.
Once you’ve narrowed down your search to a few potentials, it’s time to schedule interviews. These can be in person, over the phone, or through email, whatever works for your busy schedule. Interviewing is an important process because you want to find a photographer or videographer that fits your style, and someone that you will feel comfortable working with.
SUGGESTIONS FOR INTERVIEWING
1) Describe your project or event to them. Do they seem interested? Do they ask follow up questions? If a photographer seems indifferent, or is only giving you standard “form” responses, this may be a red flag that they aren’t going to give your project the full attention it deserves.
2) What’s the price like? Feel free to shop around, but make sure that the price you’re quoted doesn’t have any hidden fees or surprises! If possible, get an itemized quote that includes everything that you will receive for the price, like this one from Anytime Picture.
3) Ask about your rights to the images or videos. Do you have the right to make copies? Print and share photographs? If possible, you’ll want to find a photographer that gives you the right to distribute your pictures or videos.
4) How long will it take and what should you expect? Inquire about the average turnaround time between the shoot and you receiving the images or video clips, and about how many photos/clips you should expect from your shoot.
5) Ask about your privacy and security! Does your photographer have the right to share your images promotionally, or do they have to get your permission first? Do they prioritize your security? For example, Anytime Picture uses in-house servers, not cloud-based outside servers, to ensure your privacy!
All right, you’ve done the planning, researching, interviewing… now what? It’s time to pick a photographer or videographer! Go with someone who has experience in the category you’re looking for, is excited about your project, and takes your rights and privacy seriously. Make sure to get an itemized quote and know exactly what you’re getting for the price. Above all, if you prioritize your style and your comfort, you will most likely find the right photographer or videographer for you!
If you’re looking for professional photographers and videographers for any occasion, contact Anytime Picture! You can view our example albums here.